Skip to main content

Thank you, 2023.

I entered 2023 with totally different aspirations but 2023 had other surprisingly interesting plans for me. Like most other years, it was full of ups and downs but here are few things that it taught me:

1. JOMO: have you heard of this term? JOMO stands for joy of missing out. Though I never had FOMO but this year I started enjoying my own company; being in my PJs, watching TV, reading in my clean house and doing some self care instead of socialising, wandering in malls, and eating out. I felt less bad about plans being cancelled and rather felt thankful for it. Well, it all might be because I am in my 30s now but ahhh! what a joy! 

2. Change is good: I happened to change my job in the last quarter of 2023. It was overwhelming to take that decision out of the blue and my mind was full of ifs and buts; anyhow I ended up taking the plunge and well, so far, it seems that I took the right decision. Change is scary and risky but so worth it. It is okay to be scared of the change but we gotta take the risk and see what happens. We either end up somewhere good or we learn some important life lessons.

3. Mental health matters: I always knew this but I practiced this in 2023. I kept people who drain my energy at one hand distance. I broke a 10 year old friendship because it had started to suck my joy. I let go of anything that did not make me happy; be it people-place-things. I even stopped completing movies and series that I did not find interesting enough, earlier I had to complete them for closure sake. Still, my mental health sucked at certain moments but well I deliberately tried to get out of such situations and I did (sooner or later).

4. Declutter: I started decluttering my almirah, drawers, and specifically my mind. I read somewhere that we suffer more in our imagination than reality and hence it’s most important to keep our thoughts clean. I practiced gratitude and reminded myself every now and then that my only goal in life is to be happy and at peace. Everything else is secondary. 

5. Minimalism: I am still working on this but I have stopped buying things and clothes that I don’t really need. I realised that I don’t even wear 25% of my clothes and now in the WFH scenario, all I wear is lounge pants and t-shirts. I still plan to pamper myself occasionally but no more hoarding carts unnecessarily; thats for sure.

For 2024, I have no set goals but I aspire to be disciplined enough to keep myself physically active, to eat clean as much as I can, to prioritise and cherish my mental health, and to enjoy my day to day life with my family and friends. 

May 2024 be a happy and flourishing year for all of us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Trip to Naani House

Y's naanu-naani stay approximately 500 kms away from us. Due to corona chaos, Y met them last when he was 8 months old. Now when corona started to fade a little bit, we decided to visit his other set of grandparents for the first time after his birth. We decided to take a long road trip since taking public transport still did not seem safe. The trip started at 9 in the morning, Y had just woken up but was thrilled to be put in the moving-car right away. He happily sat on his car seat and started glaring out of window. He was very calm and supportive for the first half of journey. Then, we took a halt and got down to have tea. Once taken out, he hated being back in the moving car. He started throwing fits and banging car door, the act lasted for 15-20 mins and ended with him asleep. The second half of trip after he woke up was rough. He was tired and cranky and just wanted to get out of the damn car. Anyhow, we reached at our destination by 5 in the evening. Now, Y refused to get in...

Positive Outlook

Having a positive outlook in life is crucial. Stress and negativity does more harm to us than we can ever imagine. I was under a lot of stress since my papa passed away. I even had anxiety attacks a couple of times. Things just did not make sense. I was always blaming myself or someone else for the situation I was in. The world seemed pale. I always felt either sad or mad and dragged myself to function every day activities. Some days were better than others but most were cruel. I have hardly ever been this anxious and stressed earlier in my life so I did not have an idea how it feels but now I somewhat know how it does. It feels like as if you are caged in our own thoughts, you try but you can’t get out of what your mind is consistently thinking. We, as a society, don’t take mental health seriously but our body actually cannot differentiate between mental and physical trauma. I struggled but eventually took over my anxiety issues and the following things helped me the most: Talk, talk,...

A Thing or Two About Parenting

The other day we took our 2 year old (referred as Y, hereafter) to the society park for outdoor play. He was enjoying himself until an unknown 1.5 year old came and hugged him out of the blue. Y got intimidated by this overwhelming gesture and pulled the li'l boy away but the li'l boy did not give up and the event ended up with Y crying out loud. My mother was looking at all this drama as she had accompanied us to the park. When Y started crying, she said, "arre, why are u scared of such a small baby. He is just hugging you. Come on, don't be so shy". Just so that you know, Y is usually very clingy. He hugs and kisses us all the time. Now, I am not a parenting expert and I love and respect my mother a lot but my child is not someone to be judged. He must have the freedom to express. If he was intimidated by that hug, he had right to oppose and react in whatever way he wanted to. Y is 2 years old, thats how the 2 year olds are. Y is learning to handle and express h...