I started working in 2012 and was office based till 2019. After my son was born in 2019, I took a break from work and then joined back while covid was on peak and the world was forced to function from home. I started my work from home journey in November 2020. Earlier days were tough. Although I had support, it was too much to work and take care of a baby concomitantly. I remember breastfeeding while working or taking calls as in when required. Over all that, 1 month into the job and I had to search for other work opportunities. Now, within a month of my exclusive WFH journey, i was working, tackling a baby, and preparing plus facing interviews. Some days were tougher than others but we sailed through it and emerged only stronger.
I did end up getting another job which was exclusively home based. I was happy about it because I wanted to be there for my son and I wanted to work so it was a win win situation but I was least aware of the challenges that continuous WFH can bring in. Within a few days of joining, I started missing the office atmosphere, the chit chats, the morning routine, the travel, and everything else. I remember getting up at 9 and to start working at 9:30 from the comfort of my bed and blanket. In no time, I was bored and lethargic. The job was fulfilling but everything other than that was boring. I also lost my father during that time and hence everything was double troublesome. After juggling and struggling for 9 months, I decided to take charge of my life and flip my work from home life/schedule.
The first thing I embraced was working out. I started going to the gym in the morning after sending my son to school. I started getting ready for the day before sitting down for work. I started effectively talking to my team mates on teams. I started taking defined breaks (including walk breaks after meals). In the evening after work, I started going to the park with my son and after dinner, I started going for a walk with my husband. Moving more literally kicked away my WFH blues. I also started blogging more and getting out for drives after work. I made sure to get out of home to chill or to socialise on weekends.
Balancing social interaction basically helped me keeping the monotonus-ness of wfh at bay. I stayed in that job for 2.5 years and now I have switched again to another home based job. I am still in the transition phase and not sure what all challenges I might face personally and professionally here but today someone asked me how can I be exclusively working from home since so long and hence, this blog.
We all know the cons of being home based so I will tell you my favourite things about working from home: I love being there for my son all the time, I love having my me time in the morning while working out, getting ready etc, I love the fact that I don’t need to get involved in any office gossip or politics, I love how I can balance my work and life this way. The balance which WFH brings between work and life is unparalleled. I might get bored and get an office based job after 3 years or so (because my son won’t need me the same then) but for now, I have decided to look at the brighter side and to embrace my WFH life.
Comments