Last weekend, I had plans to meet friends for shopping. Initially I thought to leave Y back but then at the last minute decided to take him with me. Y had seen the metro many times from the car, but it was his first time riding it. S dropped us at the station and then Y and I started his first ever metro ride.
Y was thrilled to get on the huge escalator, he was also scared to look back (haha!). The metro station looked like a small mall to him. He was curious about everything and kept asking me what is this, what is that? I got him a metro card and then helped him cross the ticket gate. We then took another escalator and got inside the metro. Y was elated to see the insides of the metro. He kneeled on the seat and looked outside the window most of the time. He also kept asking me what the various signage meant and why can’t he stand next to the gate. In 20 minutes or so, he got comfortable and then started talking to the fellow travelers. He was not really using his seat, but he did not let anyone sit on it. We were in the ladies coach, and everyone was kind enough to just bear with his excitement.
We got off at Rajiv chowk to meet my friends. Y was so surprised to see such a crowded area. He kept asking me from where all these strangers were coming. While waiting, he kept waving Hi and Bye to all the passing metros. He then met my friends and spent the entire day shopping with us. Surprisingly, he was quite cooperative that day and did not bother us at all. While coming back, he wanted to bring both his maasi-s home back with him which could not happen, so he was low key sad but when he realized that we are going to take a metro back home, his smile and excitement returned.
He ran while climbing the stairs and he ran through the entry gate. I had to ask him to behave because the station was crowded but since he had travelled in metro once, he was now all confident. Lol. We boarded the metro towards home. It was almost 7PM and the ladies coach was crowded. Y as usual was not sitting at his seat and was swinging around the pole. I offered my seat to an old aunty in need, but Y was not quite happy about it, he started poking the old aunty to get up. I explained to him that he can have his seat and Mumma has given aunty her seat because aunty is tired and needs to sit. It took him some time to understand but later he got up from his seat too without making a fuss to hang out with me. He had an amazing time riding the metro, looking outside the window, and talking to kind strangers. I also had a feeling of safety in the ladies coach and it made me wonder, how wonderful this world would be without male intervention but ironically, I was riding that coach with my son. It made me further wonder that men are not born bad, some of them are just not raised well. Y had an amazing day and returned home with a bag full of stories to share with his papa and grandparents. I was so glad that I decided to take him at the last minute; he was happier than he gets after getting a new toy and he got a new experience added to his list. Afterall, as A. Einstein said and I quote, “The only source of knowledge is experience.”
Comments