Birthdays have always been a huge deal to me. I will tell you why.
As far as I remember, starting from my third or fourth birthday, in the morning, I used to get up to birthday music getting played in the background. My papa had made a customized audio tape to play on my birthdays. I remember that tape being played each year on my birthday till I turned around 15 and moved out of the home. Later I used to get dressed in brand new clothes to go to school and in the evening, we used to have a party at home. My mom used to cook all the delicious food and my papa used to decorate the room for party. He even used to craft a crown for me to wear sometimes. My parents raised me to treat birthday like festivals. I remember asking papa why we celebrate birthdays with such zest; he said, “it’s a way to be thankful for all you have achieved last year and to enthusiastically welcome the next year of your life.”
Once I grew up, the method of celebration changed but celebrating birthday in full swing stuck to me. Over the years, I was lucky enough to have met such friends who supported this craziness and showered me with love and surprises on birthdays. I remember being upset about my birthday getting over in a day but somehow, I got married in the month of April too. Now once my birthday is over, I have our anniversary to look forward to and that keeps the enthusiasm alive. I am not sure how excited S used to be for his birthday before meeting me but when S and I started dating, we (mostly I) made a pact to never work on birthdays and anniversaries and so far, we are abiding by that sincerely. Now, I basically get three birthdays to get super excited about and at least 5 others to be moderately excited about. I hope Y got the birthday excitement gene from me and keeps the crazy culture flowing.
For this birthday, my plan is: firstly, to be thankful to God for all he has bestowed me with, secondly to engage in some self-care activities, and thirdly to spend time with family. This one is extra special because my mom is here to celebrate it with me after almost 16 years. The last birthday I celebrated with her was my 15th and I was a dumb teenager, so I remember fighting with her for some stupid reason. I plan to make it up to her this time.
I am looking forward to my birthday, and since you have read my rant, do not ask me, why birthdays are a huge deal to me because they just are. Also, if possible, you start making yours a huge deal too, I swear, its fun.
Comments