I was around 15 when I started travelling alone and kept travelling (mostly) alone till I got married. After that, mostly S and I travelled together but for work reasons, I did take few trips alone. Then, in 2019, Y was born and all my trips after that involved him. Let me tell you that travelling with a baby or toddler is not at all same as travelling alone or with other adults. As they say, “parents don't take vacations, they take care of their kids at a different location”. I can’t deny this fact but then we parents do get proficient with time in this matter and seamlessly take care of our kids anywhere and everywhere.
Last week, for the first time in 3 and a half years, I travelled alone. I took a one day trip to Mumbai without Y. My in laws and S stayed behind with Y and because I had left him before to go to office for full day, I was certain that he will be alright. I started telling Y, 3 days prior that I will be going to office for one whole day and will be back by night. He must have understood it because his attitude was breezy on my day out.
I left home super early while Y was asleep. Somehow, I was only excited and not guilty to leave my son behind for one day. It happens, you get over the useless mom-guilt with time. I reached airport and completed the formalities. There was still 1 hour left for the boarding. I roamed around and listened to songs. Looked at other kids and slightly missed Y and then sat down to scroll gram mindlessly. There were still 40 mins left for the boarding, I felt as if time was crawling in absence of Y. I boarded and slept through the flight. Once landed, I did my make up patiently in the washroom, took the cab and left for the venue.
During the day long event, I asked S twice if Y was okay. As expected, Y was fine and playing. I left for the airport once the event was over but due to bad weather, my flight was delayed by more than 3 hours. I ate and then roamed around the airport while shopping for Y. I spent around 45 minutes in Hamleys, looking for suitable toys for him. Somehow spent remaining time at the airport and then boarded the flight back home.
Y was waiting to pick me at the airport at 2:15 AM. He was surprised to see me back and hugged me shyly. He then slept on our way back home.
All in all, I realised that I had enjoyed my day out because of nothing but unconditional love and support back home. You can raise a kid alone of-course but for moms, things get very much easier in presence of a support system. As they say, “it takes a village to raise a child” and I am so grateful for my village.
Comments