I was 2 months pregnant when I got to know that the project I had been working for last 5 years is wrapping up within 15 days. It was not a good time to start over but I was positive. Pregnancy is a condition and not a disease and I was willing to work as I used to. In no time, I was assigned a new project. I was skeptical and wanted to tell my new manager that I was pregnant and will be going on maternity leave soon but there were still 10 days remaining for me to complete my first trimester. All those who have been pregnant know how would-be moms refrain to share the pregnancy news before beginning of their second trimester. Being a first time mother, I was scared too and hence decided to wait for ten days. I joined the project and after a week or so, when I started my second trimester, I informed my manager about my pregnancy. Her face was expressionless on hearing that. I felt anxious at that moment. She said she will let me know how to proceed. I was ready for anything since my first priority was my pregnancy and hence said okay. For a couple of days, I was assigned no work and then the manager called me for a meeting. She asked me to write to her that I will avail my maternity leave for 6 months and then will be back at work. I said that since both the set of grandparents are working, I am not sure about that plan. I might need to extend the leaves. I had worked in this organisation for so long and I was allowed to take upto 1 year of unpaid childcare leave following the paid maternity leave. The organisation seemed to have no issues with my pregnancy and childcare plans. My manager did not take my words very nicely. I was kept in the project but I was working as a shadow and only helped other people with their works for 6 months until I went on my maternity leave. The incidence shook me as a person. I have always loved my job; pregnancy did not change that. I was affected by the fact that I was not offered the kind of work that I deserved and used to do in my previous project. My pregnancy basically took over my talent and capabilities for those 6 months. I had a very supportive family and hence, I somehow could manage that stress. I never liked going to office because of the kind of work I was given but I still somehow survived those 6 months doing whatever work was offered and reminding myself that it all happens for the good. I also thought that once I will join back, things will get better.
Unfortunately, once I joined back; things remained the same. Apparently I was a cheater to not inform the management about my 2 months old pregnancy at the time of joining the project. I was apparently also wrong for availing one year’s leave following my maternity leave in order to take care of my son. Please mind that the company did not have any problem but some people in my project did. I was reminded time and again about what I did in the past. I was again given the beginner-level work because apparently I had parenting responsibilities and that was the only work I could manage. I felt hurt and insulted. I did not enjoy doing beginner-level work with 9 years of work experience. I have always been an honest and hardworking employee and these things affected me so much that I resigned and decided to move on from the organisation within 15 days of joining back.
I was welcomed with open arms in a new organisation. They knew I had a little son and my manager had no issues with my parenting responsibilities. When I had resigned from the old company; my confidence had hit the ground (it happens when you go through so much emotionally) but thankfully I had found the right set of people this time who helped me get back up.
We women face such scenarios way too much at our workplace. In an interview, as soon as that you tell that you are married/pregnant/mother, they start considering you differently. I have heard about organisations who layoff their women employee when they avail the maternity leave. What the hell is all this and for what? We all have been brought here by our mothers; how can we ever forget that. Whats most disturbing is to see a women manager being against maternity and parenting responsibilities.
Being a mom is tough; whether you work at office or you are a home maker. It already comes with a lot of responsibilities, doubts, and guilt. All others can do is to support moms and to not run behind their lives for stupid little things. I can’t change the world and people’s mentality but I support moms in all the ways whenever I get a chance and you should too because change starts with you. Give mothers (women in general) the right to choose; it is so basic, we deserve it, and it would be the best ever mothers day gift.
Comments