Skip to main content

What Women Want.

Yesterday was women’s day. My phone was bombarded with women’s day messages. I am home-based now but I remember being showered with gifts and chocolates on women’s day when I used to physically visit office. All that feels nice, isn’t it? Everyone loves to be treated with warmth and we women are no exceptions. But is this all what we need in general or on women’s day? I think more than the material items, we need and deserve the gift of freedom, the gift of choice, the gift of being.

 

Starting from very beginning, our birth is not celebrated as much as a boy’s. We are still considered as a liability than an asset. No matter how good we are at studying or sports, we must know how to handle house hold chores; there is nothing wrong in learning and doing household chores, what’s wrong is the bias around it that only women need to do all that. We must learn the art of respecting and pleasing people and the list is never ending. When we grow up and start working, we usually encounter men colleagues who leave no stone unturned in mansplaining stuff but what’s more disturbing is encountering women colleagues who pull us down. After having a child, we are expected to work as if we don’t have a child and raise the child as if we don’t have work. Well, you must have got my point. Being a woman is slightly trickier. Biologically, we have been blessed with the power of creating life which I think is the most extraordinary and brave thing but in spite of considering us tough, the society considers us fragile. I don’t think that the god would assign the most precious job of this world to the fragile gender, I think he must have chosen women to create life because he knew how capable and strong a woman could be. Enough of my ranting, let me tell you what I think, women need from society:

·         We want to be treated equally. Not like a goddess. Not like a slave. Equally. Like a normal human being-with empathy and love.

·         Stop telling us the poor cliché women based jokes. Stop generalizing us. Not all women drivers are bad. Not all women manager are witches.

·         Stop judging us on the basis of our clothes. Let us wear what we like. We dress-up for ourselves and not for the society.

·         Stop telling us do-es and don’ts just because we are women. No-one deserves a society to be SAVED from.

·         The sole purpose of our lives is not to give birth to children. We might or might not want kids. It is a matter of choice.

·         Stop pressurizing us. The whole idea of putting women up and above for no reason is unnecessarily pressure-causing. We can be wrong. We are human beings and not god.

·         In a nutshell, give us the freedom to choose, the freedom to build our lives on our own terms. Is that too much to ask for?

In spite of how women have been treated, they have always been on the giving and nurturing side. Imagine what treating them right can do. Remember that the change begins at home and your children will imitate your behavior. We women also need to stop pulling each other down and start putting each other up-at homes, in offices.

 

We are actually being more aware and moving towards change. I have been raised by parents who treated each other equally. I was allowed to make choices and mistakes. I was motivated to pursue my likings. Now, I have a husband who loves and supports me. I have a son and I have already started making sure that he loves and respects people for who they are and not because they are of certain age, gender, economical/societal standard.

 

Also, we know, being a man can be tough too. Men have their own life challenges and there is no denial around that but let’s leave that for men’s day; shall we?

Comments

Unknown said…
So true .
No matter how educated our society becomes, we are expected to answer or ask for anything and everything in Life..

Kudos to you for being who you are and for making your Parents proud every single day.

Love You always
Unknown said…
Very touching lines
Unknown said…
I think you are absolutely right and every women should know how get own respect and each should speak up too for their right . Very well written super
swapna said…
Beautifully expressed women's feelings. I am sure everyone undergo such mental/ physical/ social turbulence in life and knowing when to say no or let go makes life little frictionless😊.
Unknown said…
beautiful thoughts

Popular posts from this blog

First Trip to Naani House

Y's naanu-naani stay approximately 500 kms away from us. Due to corona chaos, Y met them last when he was 8 months old. Now when corona started to fade a little bit, we decided to visit his other set of grandparents for the first time after his birth. We decided to take a long road trip since taking public transport still did not seem safe. The trip started at 9 in the morning, Y had just woken up but was thrilled to be put in the moving-car right away. He happily sat on his car seat and started glaring out of window. He was very calm and supportive for the first half of journey. Then, we took a halt and got down to have tea. Once taken out, he hated being back in the moving car. He started throwing fits and banging car door, the act lasted for 15-20 mins and ended with him asleep. The second half of trip after he woke up was rough. He was tired and cranky and just wanted to get out of the damn car. Anyhow, we reached at our destination by 5 in the evening. Now, Y refused to get in...

Positive Outlook

Having a positive outlook in life is crucial. Stress and negativity does more harm to us than we can ever imagine. I was under a lot of stress since my papa passed away. I even had anxiety attacks a couple of times. Things just did not make sense. I was always blaming myself or someone else for the situation I was in. The world seemed pale. I always felt either sad or mad and dragged myself to function every day activities. Some days were better than others but most were cruel. I have hardly ever been this anxious and stressed earlier in my life so I did not have an idea how it feels but now I somewhat know how it does. It feels like as if you are caged in our own thoughts, you try but you can’t get out of what your mind is consistently thinking. We, as a society, don’t take mental health seriously but our body actually cannot differentiate between mental and physical trauma. I struggled but eventually took over my anxiety issues and the following things helped me the most: Talk, talk,...

A Thing or Two About Parenting

The other day we took our 2 year old (referred as Y, hereafter) to the society park for outdoor play. He was enjoying himself until an unknown 1.5 year old came and hugged him out of the blue. Y got intimidated by this overwhelming gesture and pulled the li'l boy away but the li'l boy did not give up and the event ended up with Y crying out loud. My mother was looking at all this drama as she had accompanied us to the park. When Y started crying, she said, "arre, why are u scared of such a small baby. He is just hugging you. Come on, don't be so shy". Just so that you know, Y is usually very clingy. He hugs and kisses us all the time. Now, I am not a parenting expert and I love and respect my mother a lot but my child is not someone to be judged. He must have the freedom to express. If he was intimidated by that hug, he had right to oppose and react in whatever way he wanted to. Y is 2 years old, thats how the 2 year olds are. Y is learning to handle and express h...