Skip to main content

The "No-No-No" Phase

It was the day before janamasthami; the birthday of lord Krishna, and inspite of the rains we went out to get the Krishna-attire for Yuvi. It has been a ritual since Y was born; to dress him up as lord Krishna on janamasthami every year. The first two times were easy. We dressed him up and clicked beautiful photos. This was his third janamasthami. After juggling through clothes from shop to shop, we brought home a beautiful orange dress. Y liked it too and kept calling it 'sundar'.

Next day, in the evening, out of zest I got all dressed up and then started to dress up Y. Y said "no-no-no" and denied to wear the dress. We tried to lure him with different stuff but he stood up on his grounds. After a lot of hussle, we gave up. Y was so frustrated at our behaviour that he even refused to wear his night suit. We then took him to his almirah and let him choose a t-shirt to wear. Y has always loved footballs so he chose a t-shirt with a print of football on it. Anyway, the day got over. We clicked no pictures. There was a lot of crying in the beginning but in the end, Y did celebrate lord's birthday by singing songs and chanting prayers in his baby language; all while wearing his favorite t-shirt.

After that day, it became usual. Y fusses in wearing new clothes. The "no-no-no" is constant. He hates full sleeves t shirts and shirts, he hates t-shirts with lion/zebra/elephant printed on it. He only likes the clothes with footballs printed on it. Sometimes it gets very irritating, specially when we are all ready and need to leave the house to reach somewhere but Y won't wear certain clothes or shoes. But whenever I find myself struggling with parenting issues, I remind myself the best parenting advise I have ever got, "Everything is a phase. Sooner or later it will pass". I literally swear by this now. I let Y be. I know and understand that nothing is permanant in this growing age. Their behaviour, likes, and dislikes keep changing. They are growing up everyday and each tantrum is a pause to feel, express, and learn. Also, I have ordered multiple clothes with footballs printed on it because: why not, there is no other option, and we love our sanity.

Attached is a photo of Y being convinced by his grand mother to dress up as lord Krishna. Also, he is wearing his all time favorite t-shirt. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Trip to Naani House

Y's naanu-naani stay approximately 500 kms away from us. Due to corona chaos, Y met them last when he was 8 months old. Now when corona started to fade a little bit, we decided to visit his other set of grandparents for the first time after his birth. We decided to take a long road trip since taking public transport still did not seem safe. The trip started at 9 in the morning, Y had just woken up but was thrilled to be put in the moving-car right away. He happily sat on his car seat and started glaring out of window. He was very calm and supportive for the first half of journey. Then, we took a halt and got down to have tea. Once taken out, he hated being back in the moving car. He started throwing fits and banging car door, the act lasted for 15-20 mins and ended with him asleep. The second half of trip after he woke up was rough. He was tired and cranky and just wanted to get out of the damn car. Anyhow, we reached at our destination by 5 in the evening. Now, Y refused to get in...

Positive Outlook

Having a positive outlook in life is crucial. Stress and negativity does more harm to us than we can ever imagine. I was under a lot of stress since my papa passed away. I even had anxiety attacks a couple of times. Things just did not make sense. I was always blaming myself or someone else for the situation I was in. The world seemed pale. I always felt either sad or mad and dragged myself to function every day activities. Some days were better than others but most were cruel. I have hardly ever been this anxious and stressed earlier in my life so I did not have an idea how it feels but now I somewhat know how it does. It feels like as if you are caged in our own thoughts, you try but you can’t get out of what your mind is consistently thinking. We, as a society, don’t take mental health seriously but our body actually cannot differentiate between mental and physical trauma. I struggled but eventually took over my anxiety issues and the following things helped me the most: Talk, talk,...

A Thing or Two About Parenting

The other day we took our 2 year old (referred as Y, hereafter) to the society park for outdoor play. He was enjoying himself until an unknown 1.5 year old came and hugged him out of the blue. Y got intimidated by this overwhelming gesture and pulled the li'l boy away but the li'l boy did not give up and the event ended up with Y crying out loud. My mother was looking at all this drama as she had accompanied us to the park. When Y started crying, she said, "arre, why are u scared of such a small baby. He is just hugging you. Come on, don't be so shy". Just so that you know, Y is usually very clingy. He hugs and kisses us all the time. Now, I am not a parenting expert and I love and respect my mother a lot but my child is not someone to be judged. He must have the freedom to express. If he was intimidated by that hug, he had right to oppose and react in whatever way he wanted to. Y is 2 years old, thats how the 2 year olds are. Y is learning to handle and express h...