Skip to main content

My Encounter With COVID

I was the most finicky person for entire 2020. I did not get out of my house. Washed and sanitized everything multiple times before using. Missed out on my family functions, my dearest brother's wedding, meeting my own parents for a complete year because of COVID. But things started to look better around March and we as a family started living again (selectively); still with a lot of caution.

Few days ago, I developed a fever. I had an upset stomach since 4-5 days but that seemed to be because of some thing I ate. The only reason why I was so afraid of corona and never wanted to get it; was Yuvaan. I never wanted to not be able to see and hold him for half a month. But I had fever so I got quarantined and tested. Yuvi kept banging on my door from time to time. He kept crying his lungs out every now and then but I thought it's a matter of couple of days as I will soon test negative and life will be back to normal. Guess what; I tested positive. People are literally taking trips, going to political rallies, partying and here I get out of my house once with all the precautions and I test positive. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about it. Crying wont do any good so I guess we better laugh it off.

Initial quarantined days were tough on Yuvi. He cried for his mama every now and then but then he settled down gradually. On the contrary, few days in quarantine and I started to feel restless for not being able to see him. One night I thought I will just peep through the glass window to get a glimpse of him. I saw him running across the hall. I could not control tears at his sight. So, I decided to not look at him till my quarantine is over. Not sure what's tougher; to be sick or not to be able to hold him. 

Today is the ninth day of my home-quarantine. I feel much better. My symptoms have subsided. I have found various ways to keep myself occupied. I feel much more thankful than I used to feel; for having such a loving and supportive family. This experience has made me, my family, and my son stronger in more ways than we could imagine. Thankfully, my family members tested negative and are doing okay. Yuvi has made peace with mommy being locked out in a room. He understand that something is fishy. Sumit says that Y comes up to my door and then looks at grown ups for permission to open it. My poor little baby, I feel so bad for him but on the brighter side: Y now sleeps on his own, stays with his grandparents and papa all day long, and plays independently. Just few more days and then I hope that I will be able to hold him, squish him, cuddle him, and kiss him like good old days. My re-test is scheduled on Day-14.

COVID is cruel. I have experienced it first hand. It shook me. It shook a 29 year old with a fairly good immunity. Imagine what it can do to our elderlies and kids. Stay Safe. Stay at home. Let this wave pass. Our healthcare system is already over-burdened. This is not the time to act like idiots. This is the time to act most responsible. Take charge of your-self and your family's health. Also, if anybody in your family or in friend-circle test positive, do not keep bombarding them with advices. Let them consult and abide by a doctor. Do not scare them, they must be already very scared. Instead, motivate them, make them laugh, ensure that they have what all they need. Recovery starts at mind. Make sure that you help them in keeping their thoughts happy and healthy. This too shall pass. We shall overcome. 

Lastly, I hope to test negative soon. This was and will remain one of the most challenging experiences of my life and I would have never gotten through it without the support of my loved ones. I am beyond thankful for this life, my loving family, supporting friends, and caring relatives. It sure takes a village to recover from Cruel COVID and thank god, I have one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Trip to Naani House

Y's naanu-naani stay approximately 500 kms away from us. Due to corona chaos, Y met them last when he was 8 months old. Now when corona started to fade a little bit, we decided to visit his other set of grandparents for the first time after his birth. We decided to take a long road trip since taking public transport still did not seem safe. The trip started at 9 in the morning, Y had just woken up but was thrilled to be put in the moving-car right away. He happily sat on his car seat and started glaring out of window. He was very calm and supportive for the first half of journey. Then, we took a halt and got down to have tea. Once taken out, he hated being back in the moving car. He started throwing fits and banging car door, the act lasted for 15-20 mins and ended with him asleep. The second half of trip after he woke up was rough. He was tired and cranky and just wanted to get out of the damn car. Anyhow, we reached at our destination by 5 in the evening. Now, Y refused to get in...

Positive Outlook

Having a positive outlook in life is crucial. Stress and negativity does more harm to us than we can ever imagine. I was under a lot of stress since my papa passed away. I even had anxiety attacks a couple of times. Things just did not make sense. I was always blaming myself or someone else for the situation I was in. The world seemed pale. I always felt either sad or mad and dragged myself to function every day activities. Some days were better than others but most were cruel. I have hardly ever been this anxious and stressed earlier in my life so I did not have an idea how it feels but now I somewhat know how it does. It feels like as if you are caged in our own thoughts, you try but you can’t get out of what your mind is consistently thinking. We, as a society, don’t take mental health seriously but our body actually cannot differentiate between mental and physical trauma. I struggled but eventually took over my anxiety issues and the following things helped me the most: Talk, talk,...

A Thing or Two About Parenting

The other day we took our 2 year old (referred as Y, hereafter) to the society park for outdoor play. He was enjoying himself until an unknown 1.5 year old came and hugged him out of the blue. Y got intimidated by this overwhelming gesture and pulled the li'l boy away but the li'l boy did not give up and the event ended up with Y crying out loud. My mother was looking at all this drama as she had accompanied us to the park. When Y started crying, she said, "arre, why are u scared of such a small baby. He is just hugging you. Come on, don't be so shy". Just so that you know, Y is usually very clingy. He hugs and kisses us all the time. Now, I am not a parenting expert and I love and respect my mother a lot but my child is not someone to be judged. He must have the freedom to express. If he was intimidated by that hug, he had right to oppose and react in whatever way he wanted to. Y is 2 years old, thats how the 2 year olds are. Y is learning to handle and express h...